Thursday, February 9, 2012

Single Female - SF5




Your mother is sitting with her needlepoint looking stunned as what you have told her sinks in.  You had no idea how she would take it.

“I have to call Grace,” she says, mentioning her sister who lives in Saint Louis with her husband.

“No mother, you can’t, I mean you shouldn’t.  I had not meant to tell you, but then…” You regret that you did tell her as she is going to want to talk to her sister.

“Mom, just call her in a couple of days, but don’t tell her, believe me she’ll be better off not knowing.  That’s the President’s decision.  He only told us because he had to in case the story breaks so we can cover it.  We want to prevent panic.  Everything that we can do is being done..”  She sits down.

“I’ll be with your father,” she says with tears running down her cheeks.  “I miss him so much.  Even now when things happen I think, “Wait till I tell George.  I’m so sorry you don’t have someone.”

“Mother, maybe next time, but it just didn’t happen.  I don’t know why.  Nobody asked me mother.”

“Well, we’re not going to talk about that now…” and once again your mother has passed over an issue, but you are consoled that she looks forward to being with your father.  You can’t beat that.

No comments:

Post a Comment