Friday, February 10, 2012

Day 5



D5          The Daniels family lands in Melbourne after a 20 hour overnight from Los Angeles.  They are exhausted and check into a hotel with pool where Scott and Chrissie are soon splashing and sunning.  Bill gets on the phone and within an hour three men from the government have come to call.  Bill goes with them for a meeting with the Prime Minister.  Sylvia will stay with the kids.

          “Welcome to Australia, Mr. Daniels.”

          “I offer the regards of my President, sir,” says Bill.

          “Gentlemen, Mr. Daniels and I need to speak privately,” he says to the subordinates and they leave, closing the door behind them.

          “I’ll be frank with you sir,” begins Bill, “I am here with my son and his fiance’ in an effort to survive.  I know you know.” 

          “Quite,” he says, “We are going to evacuate our seaside communities on a tsunami warning.  We’ll announce an undersea earthquake; that sort of thing happens and hope for the best.  Care for a whisky?”

          “I certainly would, sir,” says Bill.

          “What do you think about the atmosphere?” 

          “ I have no idea,” says Bill, “I’m not a science guy.”

          “Too bad,” muses the PM as he settles back with his glass.
          For ten minutes they compare notes on American and Australian politics, laughing over stories.  A light flashes on the PM’s phone.  He picks it up saying, “Um, Um, one moment.”

          “I see you are busy,” says Bill as he stands.  The PM stands and nods saying, “Yes, but when this is over come and see me if you are going to stay. We can use a man with your talents and experience.  I’m sure we’ll have reason to learn more about America regardless what happens.”

          “Certainly,” and thank you.

          Bill is taken back to the hotel and tells Sylvia he has a job when the emergency is over and she is greatly relieved.

          Meanwhile the giant C5 military transport is lumbering through a refueling operation on the verge of a stall as two pilots work to keep the planes together.  Dr. Fogsten and Charlotte feel the anxiety in the air and she adds that to her discomfort after six hours on this plane.  She feels like a pig and is dreaming of a warm shower.

          “OK, honey,” he says to her.

          “No, but I’ll fake it,” she says being a good sport.  “When will we get there?”

          “I hate to tell you this, but it will be eight more hours.”

          “I’m not going to scream.  I am not going to scream,” she says in a rising voice.

          “Honey, we are saving our lives and sometimes it means discomfort.”  She nodded that she understood and he put his arm around her as the plane disconnected from the tanker and climbed to cruising altitude noisily.

          They slept through most of the last eight hours of the trip, exhausted from the noise, discomfort of the rather spare, low bid, military seats.

          In Area 51 Defense Secretary Panola is meeting with Colonel Buller.

          “I’m glad the President is finally going to deal with this thing.”

          “Thing?” asks Layton.

          “Yeah, the Big Enchilada.  I suppose you want to see it now.”  At this point the Secretary has not a clue, but senses the opportunity so he agrees.  The Colonel leads him from the office to an elevator, go up to the ground level and walk to a hanger with guards at the door.  They wave through and are in a darkened hanger.  The Colonel goes to a nearby switch panel and throws a big switch.

          “What the Hell?” says Layton as he sees a 30 foot diameter disk UFO before him.

          “OK, Mr. Secretary, I’ll tell you everything we know about this craft, but it ain’t much.

          “My God!” says Layton as he approaches the craft asking, “Is it OK?”

          “Sure, go ahead, put your hand on it.  It’s OK,” and Layton gets a cold metallic feel of the perfectly smooth craft.”

          “Where is it from?”

          “The real question is, “When is it from,”” says the Colonel.

          “You mean these things are time machines?”

          “That’s the story.  As much as we can get from him.”

          “Him?  You mean you captured the pilot.”

          “Sure, I thought you knew.”

          “Did the President know about this?”

          “When you showed up I thought he did.”

          “No, I’m here to protect my family.  An asteroid is supposed to hit Earth on the 13th and I know you have deep earth facilities here, all kinds of emergency stuff and food stored.”

          “Well, I’ve just put my butt in a big wringer,” says the Colonel.

          “Not by me,” says Layton, thinking of his best moves.  He needs this guy a lot more than this guy needs him.  He has to make him an ally so he adds:

          “Look, I’ll do whatever I can to help you with this, but we all have a much bigger problem now.”

          Like a flash it hits him!  If the pilot is from the future then there is a future!  Mankind survived!

          “Is this guy here?”

          “Sure, you want to meet him?  He’s kind of a funny little guy.”

          “Little?”

          “Yeah, he’s only three and a half feet tall, 42 inehes.  And he only has three fingers, no little finger.”

          “And he talks?”

          “Sort of.”

          “Sort of?”

          “You hear him in your head and you think back to him.  It takes a little while to get the hang of it.”

          Colonel Buller leads Layton out of the hanger and into a long hall.

          “We have him set up in a nice living quarters and he understands that he can’t leave until we can get his craft fueled.  He needs a lot of helium 3 for his fusion reactor and we are having a hard time getting enough of it, but we’re working on it.”

          “Have you learned anything from him?”

          “Oh yeah, a lot, but so much of it involves exotic materials we have not made yet we’ll have to gear up a lot of technology to use it.  It’ll make the Manhattan project look like a pizza factory; that’s the problem.”

          “And why would we want to navigate time?” Layton asks.  The Colonel looks at him like he’s nuts.

          “Sir, with all due respect that UFO is the greatest weapon of all time.  We could go back in time and kill one man to prevent World War II.”

          “Then what?”

          “Then what would happen?”

          “We don’t know…”

          “That’s the problem.”

          They arrive at a door and Layton is shown into a complex of rooms first meeting a room with three guards and two computer terminals.  They all stand and salute the Colonel who introduces the Secretary.  Then he is taken into a living room with a giant TV screen showing a film and Layton hears a voice saying, “I feel someone new in my space,” and a tiny man rises from an easy chair.

          JoRan is grey in color, his skin and clothing are a blue-gray that Layton has never seen.  The tiny man puts out a three-fingered hand and Layton takes it in a welcoming way.  Then he hears:

          “You are an important man,” and he thinks back,
          “Some say that, but you are more important than I.  Why are you here?”
          “I am a soldier in uniform on a research mission to find the when of the great extinction.”

          “Then it is true,” says Layton, “Most of humanity will die as a result of this.”

          “Yes, but we have never been able to when it precisely.  That is my assignment.”

          “It is going to be in two days on April 13.”

          “Then I must be gone or I will die with you and I have important information for my time.”

          “Why is knowing when so important?”

          “Because we are evolving and must learn how to control it.”  He held up his hand.  “You see we have lost our little fingers.  Is evolution turning back and taking us back to simpler forms?  Can we stop it?”

          Layton expresses, “But how does this…”

          “I don’t know.  I am a soldier.  My mission is to return with the information.”

          “Colonel,” Layton says to the man, “What’s the story on helium 3?”

          “Come outside,” he replies and the two men leave the time traveler.

          The Colonel takes Layton several hundred feet away saying, “I think we’re safe here.”

          “Safe?”

          “I don’t want him to hear me.”

          “You have it, don’t you,” accuses Layton.

          “I uh,” the man fumbles, “we didn’t know what to do with him!  I’ve been trying to get to the President, but there are so many people between and nobody ever wants to make a decision.  That’s the problem with all this stuff.”

          Layton can sympathize with the man, but he can see this is a much bigger problem and action is needed.

          “OK, we have the helium 3.  I’ll sign off on it.  We may just be saving the human race in 7,000,000 AD.”

          “What about us?” wails the Colonel.

          “I don’t know.  We can hunker down and hope.  That’s about it.”





No comments:

Post a Comment